Forum for National Committees
Spotlight on young professionals
- Introductory article - News developments in the evaluation of road projects - Karl-Josef Höhnscheid (1), Head of Research Controlling, Management of Road Assets and Research Commissioner, BASt, Germany and Chair of PIARC Technical Committee 1.4'Road Transport System Economics and Social Development
- Social impacts of road projects and road pricing effects, key findings - Maurizio Rotondo
- Transport effects on the creation and circulation of value flows: principles for policy evaluation - Fabien Leurent
- Evaluation to make transport "safe, clean and affordable" - Andreas Kopp
- Regulatory impact analysis of transports legislation in Germany - Jan-Andre Bühne, Senior Researcher, Section Safety Concepts, Safety Communication,Federal Highway Research Institute BASt, Germany. Member of PIARC TC 1.4
- Preliminary Feasibility Study for Road Projects Incorporating Balanced Regional Development - Namgeon Cho, Hyeon Park
- Assessing economic and Tax revenue effects of construction of the S8 Marchfeld expressway in Austria - Wolfgang Schwarzbauer, Thomas Grünstäudl
- A new scheme for evaluation of road projects by considering their effects after disasters - Tohru Tamura, Hirotaka Sekiya, Teiji Goto, Tetsuya Yamada
Social impacts of road projects and road pricing effects, key findings
Over the 2008 - 2011 period, the PIARC Technical Committee A.3 on Road System Economics & Social Development focused its work on two main issues:
- approaches to assessing social impacts related to road projects,
- an analysis on the effects of road pricing schemes.
Contribution to the work came from all continents, as examples of ex-ante and of ex-post evaluations were made available from countries such as New Zealand, France, Japan, USA, Austria, UK, Morocco and Papua New Guinea.
Recent pricing initiatives were also reviewed, resulting in an extensive report featuring road pricing schemes descriptions from over20 countries as well as evaluations of their impacts from many of these countries.
This article provides an overview of the main findings.