Forum for National Committees
Spotlight on young professionals
- The Andorra Congress: First glimpse of the technical content - Didier Giloppé
- The effects of climate change on winter service in Germany - Peter Hoffmann, Hermann Österle and Friedrich-Wilhelm Gerstengarbe, Christian Holldorb, Franziska Rumpel
- A benefit-cost approach to level of service standards for winter road maintenance - Max Perchanok, Heather McClintock, Liping Fu, Lalita Thakali, Tina Greenfield Huitt
- Improving the resilience of the United Kingdom's road network to the impact of severe winter weather - Matthew Lugg
- Sapporo winter road management plans - YasuhiroTakamatsu, Takuji Umezawa
- Materials and technologies for winter road maintenance in Lithuania - Matas Bulevičius, Darjusas Mučinis, Donatas Čygas, Alfredas Laurinavičius, Audrius Vaitkus
- Traffic ability of heavy vehicles on an incline - Torgeir Vaa, Per Brandli
- Challenges related to winter operations in urban highway tunnels - Alexandre Debs
- Assessment and repair of bridges subjected to de-icing salts - Ulrik Sloth Andersen, Henrik Nielsen
Improving the resilience of the United Kingdom's road network to the impact of severe winter weather
The severe weather of the three winters between 2008 and 2011 severely challenged the UK's ability to keep its national road network open, safe and serviceable.
This paper describes how the events of these winters unfolded in relation to their impact on the road transport network, the outcomes of the reviews and inquiries that followed, and consequently how the nation's resilience to future severe winter weather events has improved.