Forum for National Committees
Spolight on young professionals
- The Andorra 2014 Congress: A resounding success for the country and the entire Pyrenees region - David Palmitjavila
- General report of the 14th International Winter Road Congress held in Andorra - Didier Giloppé, Ignacio del Rey, Satoshi Kashima, Pierre Gilles, Thanks to all session chairs and co-chairs for their valuable assitance in finalizing this general report.
Feature Rural roads
- Stormwater drainage techniques for unpaved roads in Mali - Cheick Oumar Diallo
- Improvement of rural access - Moroccan experience - Mohammed Bejrhit
- Managing rural road planning, maintenance and improvements in Benin - Isséré Joseph Dossou
- Maintenance strategies designed for Mali's rural road network - Dramane Diallo
- Optimal use of marginal materials in accordance with Spain's PG-3 standard - Álvaro Parrilla Alcaide, Áurea Perucho Martínez,
- A capital pavement preservation program for rural roads - The experience in Mohave County (USA) - Steven P. Latoski
- Chile's program dedicated to basic roads - Mario Anguita Medel, Claudio Aravena Ríos
- Study of technical solutions dedicated to maintaining el Salvador's unpaved road network - Edith Lorena Córdova Nativí, Marlon Orlando Cárcamo Reyes, Víctor Iván Orellana López
Managing rural road planning, maintenance and improvements in Benin
Illustrations © RTDA
In Benin, between 1970 and 2010, experiments in the areas of rural road construction and maintenance did not yield infrastructure in a permanently good state of repair. The results of these campaigns were inconclusive and accompanied by an observation of incoherent policy regarding rural road construction and maintenance, in addition to noting rather unrealistic mechanisms in place for applying resources to generate the necessary maintenance financing.
In light of these policy failures, the National Rural Transport Strategy (or NRTS), designed to acknowledge the nation's decentralization mandate, was adopted. This strategic policy has been in an experimental phase since 2011, and initial results are now available.