Forum for National Committees
Spotlight on Young Professionals
- PIARC's International Climate Change Adaptation Framework for Road Infrastructure - Elements of Analysis on Applicability and Refinement - Eric Dimnet, Gordana Petkovic, Juan Fernando Mendoza
- Electric Roads: A Solution for the Future - Sarah Reeves, Damien Bateman, Dominic Leal
- Environmental impact of practices and storage protocols relative to deicing agents - Ludovic Burghgraeve
- Can we trust the road sensors for winter service? - Michel M. Eram, Torgeir Vaa
- The RAMS-Approach for Road Tunnel Operations - Urs Welte, Jean-Claude Martin
Can we trust the road sensors for winter service?
Winter maintenance warning stations and road sensors play important roles in both winter service and ITS. In 2014, a 5-year collaborative Nordic project was launched by NordFoU, under the title ROad STate MOnitoring System (ROSTMOS), with representatives and experts from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and partly Finland to map and implement the challenges faced by Nordic road authorities when using sensors. The purpose of the project was formed to develop a system for registration and verification of the road condition which with accuracy can monitor the condition of the road network, primarily in real time. The system of registration and verification of road conditions will include data from different sources and will be incorporated into a decision support system where forecasts will be an important element.